AIDS United is an Equal Opportunity Employer and dedicated to diversity in the work place.
How to apply:
Complete applications must include the AIDS United Application for Employment, cover letter, and resume and should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position you are applying for in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applicants only those selected for an interview will be contacted. AIDS United is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and persons living with HIV are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please.
Current Job Opportunities:
The Pedro Zamora Public Policy Fellowship
In the spirit of AIDS activist, educator, and reality-show trailblazer Pedro Zamora’s work to combat the spread of HIV, AIDS United offers a public policy fellowship in his name. The Pedro Zamora Public Policy Fellowship is an excellent opportunity for both undergraduate and graduate students seeking experience in public policy and government affairs focused on HIV/AIDS issues.
- Assisting in researching a variety of public health and civil rights issues related to HIV prevention, treatment and care
- Attending Congressional hearings and coalition meetings
- Monitoring voting records
- Reviewing the federal register and Congressional Record
- Preparation of briefing materials, correspondence, and mailings
- General office administration
Candidates need strong research, writing and organizational skills and willingness to work in a professional office. Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment is critical. Familiarity with HIV-related issues and the legislative processes is preferred. Both graduate and undergraduate students are welcome to apply. Fellows must commit to working a minimum of 30 hours per week for 8 weeks. The maximum period is 26 weeks. All people including people of color, women, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals, and HIV positive individuals are encouraged to apply.
The fellowship includes a stipend and is highly competitive. Applications are accepted for the fall, spring, and summer terms. The following application deadlines and notification dates apply:
Apply by: Notified by:
Spring November 1st December 15th
Summer March 15th April 30th
Fall July 15th August 30th
Those applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted via phone to set up an interview time. Interviews may take place in person or via the telephone (if the applicant is not in the Washington, DC area). Those who are not selected for the fellowship will be notified by e-mail.
Completed applications must include: a cover letter indicating areas of interest, resume, three to four page writing sample and an essay answering the following questions. The essay should not exceed three pages.
- Describe your participation in any school or extracurricular activities related to HIV or AIDS (i.e. peer prevention programs, volunteer activities, etc.).
- Describe your participation in any school, work, or extracurricular activities related to advocacy (lobbying, political campaigns, etc.).
- Why would you be the best candidate for the Pedro Zamora Fellowship (i.e. what do you bring to the organization?)?
- How would you use the skills you acquire from this fellowship?
- What time period -- spring , summer, or fall and length of time available
E-mail completed applications to Zamora@aidsunited.org (MS Word and Adobe Acrobat file attachments only). Applications may also be mailed to:
Coordinator, Pedro Zamora Fellowship Program
1424 K Street, NW Ste 200
Washington, DC 20005
Contact the fellowship coordinator via e-mail at Zamora@aidsunited.org or
call 202-408-4848 ext. 248.