Thank you for your interest in AIDS United’s Sector Transformation program! We offer support to help organizations across the United States (including Puerto Rico) navigate transformational change. The information below will likely answer some of your questions as you think about applying.
Learn more about Sector Transformation in the initiative fact sheet.
If you do not see the answer to your question below, contact us at email@example.com.
What is the Application Process for Sector Transformation Assistance?
What is Sector Transformation?
- Grant Funding: To apply for a grant, first complete a Letter of Inquiry Form. Letters of Inquiry are received and reviewed on a rolling basis. If your letter of inquiry is approved, you will be invited to submit a full grant application. Invited grant applications are reviewed and awarded on a quarterly basis. Your proposal will specify quarterly goals – if funded you will report quarterly on progress towards toward those goals.
- Technical Assistance: To apply for technical assistance, submit the Technical Assistance Request Form. Technical Assistance requests are reviewed and awarded on a rolling basis.
- Reverse Site Visit: To apply for Reverse Site Visit support, submit the Reverse Site Visit Request Form. Reverse Site Visit Request forms are reviewed and awarded on a rolling basis.
With advances in HIV prevention and treatment, shifts in government and private funding priorities, and implementation of health care reform, organizations – particularly many community-based and culturally-specific organizations – around the country are encountering both opportunities and challenges to sustaining critical services addressing HIV and AIDS in their communities. These challenges are prompting many entities to reflect on their services and the needs of their communities, and develop strategies and partnerships to help necessary services survive.
What kind of support is available?
Sector Transformation support includes cash grants to organizations as well as support for specialized technical assistance for restructuring efforts.
Who is eligible for Sector Transformation assistance?
- Cash Grants: A maximum of $50,000 will be awarded to support specific organizational needs (personnel and program/legal expenses) directly related to the proposed restructuring activities.
- Technical Assistance: Sector Transformation provides specialized technical assistance for specific restructuring-related activities. AIDS United uses a network of contractors and consultants to provide technical assistance nationwide. Technical Assistance may be requested on its own or as part of a grant submission.
- Reverse Site Visits: When an organization is going through restructuring, it can be helpful to visit an organization that is a successful model of the planned new structure. AIDS United refers to these trips as “Reverse Site Visits.” Support for Reverse Site Visits may not be requested as part of a grant submission.
All applicants (for grants and technical assistance) must be non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)3 organizations or have a fiscal agent.
Grant funding is only available to organizations that are actively engaged in organizational restructuring activities. Documentation of Board approval and engagement in these activities is required. Please DO NOT apply for grant funding -though you can apply for technical assistance- if you are in the beginning stages of consideration of restructuring options, or are yet to begin formal conversations with potential partners.
What are the deadlines for Sector Transformation requests?
There are no deadlines for letters of inquiry
, technical assistance requests
, or reverse site visit requests
– they are reviewed on a rolling basis. Grant applications (accepted by invitation only) are reviewed on a quarterly basis.
Restructuring negotiations can be very delicate. How do you assure discretion and privacy?
All inquiries, proposals, and applications will be reviewed internally by AIDS United staff to maintain discretion for the applicant’s sector transformation proposal. AIDS United understands that sector transformation is often a private process. Please be assured that all inquiries will be treated with confidentiality.
What is the award period for grants?
Applicants may apply for a maximum of 12 months of funding. AIDS United will also consider proposals with shorter grant cycles (6 or 9 months, for example). Given the nature of sector transformation, we recognize that there are projects that are in need of funding and/or technical assistance that may not require an entire year to execute and others that may require far more, though funding is never provided for more than one year at a time under this initiative.
What expenses can a Sector Transformation grant cover?
Invited applicants should apply for necessary funding, up to a maximum amount of $50,000. As with any funding opportunity, grant requests might not be approved for the full amount.
Grant funds may be used for the following:
Prohibited expenses include:
- Direct personnel and program/legal expenses for sector transformation efforts
- Indirect expenses directly related to the proposed project activities (not to exceed 15%)
What are some examples of projects that Sector Transformation grants can support?
- Expenses not directly related to the proposed project
- Medication or medical care
- Facility acquisition or renovation
- Deficit reduction or debt payment
- Displacement of existing funding sources
- Indirect expenses over 15%
- Program or organizational development
AIDS United provides Sector Transformation grants to support organizations actively engaged in transformational projects, such as:
- Expansion of services
- Development of strategic alliances or partnerships
- Executive coaching
- Mission expansion or rebranding
- Transition to FQHC or FQCH look-alike status
- Post-merger integrations
- Responsible closures
- Mergers or consolidations
- ...and so much more!